sachiko hayashi on Mon, 4 Apr 2011 17:52:40 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Japan – Fissures in the Planetary Apparatus

read my text >> i am not calling the information coming from japan misinformation.  i am calling some articles sent to me by some of my american friends misinformation. or correctly put, speculative interpretation.  at one point, you just have to try to get back to normal especially when the assessment is not completed yet.  do you have any idea how many hours i have spent getting information on this, reading highly scientific documents on nuclear plants, just to get some clarifying insight or information? what do you suggest to do when those interpretations of the articles contradict and ignore what is considered to be so-called "international scientific communities' consensus or findings"? certainly there are many ways of interpreting scientific data, but the fact is we have already built some regulations according to those international consensus.  if the consensus proves to be wrong, we'll certainly have to change that.  but it appears to me we'll have to wait for another day for doing it as the assessment is nowhere near complete.  and i for one welcome any adjustment necessary - as i wrote earlier to jean-noël, i am all for making exclusion zones larger, for example.  it is not as much about the japanese authorities or how they handled the situation or what type of information japanese are receiving as it is about the validity of the international standards and credibilities of recommendations from iaea and other scientific organisations and communities. but at the moment, as far as i could gather from information available to me, after the accident they have done what they are supposed to do according to the "existing" regulations.  the problem with the japanese situation is, as jean-noël writes here, that there has not been other information source than what tepco provides on many occasions.  though iaea is on the sight and is doing their own monitoring and providing data of their own, most of the crucial information has come from tepco.  there i already see the need for improvement.
s.

On Apr 4, 2011, at 4:00 AM, Migiwa Orimo wrote:

> This post is very disturbing to me.
>
> <<<  i have earlier stopped following the news, trying to get on with my life - but friends in america and sweden (where i live atm) keep sending me links to articles, etc., making it exceedingly difficult to do just that, especially when some of the info described there are complete gibberish or misinformation.
>
> She is refusing to learn in order to get back to her daily routine, yet she is calling the information coming from Japan 'misinformation'. WTF!

> On Apr 3, 2011, at 10:56 AM, sachiko hayashi wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> i can second the sentiment david is talking about here.
>>
>> as an expat from tokyo, ever since the 3:11 earthquake/tsunami happened, i have been busy, most of the time against my own will, trying to calm down the people around me who have been swept into the mass media hysteria in europe and america.  every time the hysteria happens, my impression is things get worse for those who actually live in japan.
>>
>> the hysteria was at its worst when the us nrc chairman g. b. jaczko publicly put forward his speculation on reactor 4.  this created huge mass hysteria abroad; britain, for example, whose news up until then had been much more sound than american counterparts, changed its attitude. this was followed by the british embassy's sudden recommendation to its citizens to flee tokyo.  just a day before, the embassy had laid a recommendation to its citizens that was in line with the policy of the japanese government.  now everything changed.  the message was somehow clear : "do not trust the japanese government."
>>
>> being abroad and having opportunities to check into japanese news and press conferences as well as bbc, skynews, cnn, nbc, and swedish news,  i was shocked by the gap between the japanese news and the news outside japan.  to my ears, the news abroad sounded much more emotional and panicky while the japanese news drily concentrated on the facts, numbers, etc.  this despite the fact that many outside japan believed people in japan were not being adequately informed.
>>
>> following all of this, i posted daily what i have heard on nhk on my fb wall just to show what kind of information those in japan were receiving.  this seemed to have calmed down some, at least did away with the impression japanese were being excluded from the crucial information about the fukushima daiichi plant.  but now when it is clear  containment of the plant has not been as easy as it was first believed and high radiation being detected around the plant, the hysteria started once again. and this time even with a greater force.  not only the japanese authorities' but also IAEA's and WHO's integrity and credibility are being questioned this time.  many anti-nuclear activists seem to try to grasp this opportunity for their own agenda by forgetting the fact there are real people involved here.

> [...]
 <...>