Geert Lovink on Mon, 4 Apr 2011 23:27:24 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Facebook takes down Palestinian intifada pag

Hi, I am not sure if many of you are following this story (the report
below comes from CNET). I haven't seen many references to it yet. It
is interesting in the light of the sheer endless debates about Twitter/
Facebook revolution yes/no/maybe/no opinion in the Middle East and
North Africa. /Geert

March 29, 2011 11:25 AM PDT

Facebook takes down Palestinian intifada page

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20048363-93.html#ixzz1IaR029Rr
A Facebook page called the Third Palestinian Intifada has been removed
from the site following a request from the Israeli government.

Yuli Edelstein, Israel's minister of public diplomacy and diaspora
affairs, sent a letter directly to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg on
March 23. In the letter, which has been posted on the Web site The
Jerusalem Gift Shop, Edelstein asked the company to take down the page
calling for a third intifada, translated by some as violent uprising,
to begin against Israel on May 15.

Pointing to remarks and movie clips on the page calling for the
killing of Israelis and Jews and the liberation of Palestine through
violence, Edelstein expressed concern over the "wild incitement" that
could be caused by the page, which had collected more than 230,000
friends at the time he wrote the letter.

On Friday, the Anti-Defamation League also asked Facebook to remove
the page, labeling it "an appalling abuse of technology to promote
terrorist violence" with "inflammatory anti-Israel language calling
for supporters to build on the previous two intifadas."

 From its initial response, Facebook appeared reluctant to take action.

"We strongly believe that Facebook users have the ability to express
their opinions, and we don't typically take down content, groups, or
Pages that speak out against countries, religions, political entities,
or ideas," Facebook spokeswoman Debbie Frost said in a statement e-
mailed to Bloomberg.

But as of today Facebook had removed the Third Palestinian Intifada
page. Explaining its decision, a Facebook spokesman e-mailed CNET the
following statement:

The Page, The Third Palestinian Intifada, began as a call for peaceful
protest, even though it used a term that has been associated with
violence in the past. In addition, the administrators initially
removed comments that promoted violence. However, after the publicity
of the Page, more comments deteriorated to direct calls for violence.
Eventually, the administrators also participated in these calls. After
administrators of the page received repeated warnings about posts that
violated our policies, we removed the Page.

Facebook added that it continues to "believe that people on Facebook
should be able to express their opinions, and we don't typically take
down content that speaks out against countries, religions, political
entities, or ideas. However, we monitor Pages that are reported to us
and when they degrade to direct calls for violence or expressions of
hate--as occurred in this case--we have and will continue to take them
down."

Saying that it welcomed the decision to take down the page, the Anti-
Defamation League asked Facebook to "vigilantly monitor their pages
for other groups that call for violence or terrorism against Jews and
Israel."

Since the removal of the page, new ones have been created to replace
it. Though the number of friends is small so far compared with the
original, the new pages appear to mimic the first one with further
calls in both English and Arabic for a new intifada.

Literally translated as "shaking off," the word intifada is more
commonly translated as "revolution" or "uprising." Palestinians have
staged two intifadas, according to CNN, one that began in 1987 and
another that started in 2000. During the second intifada, thousands of
Israelis and Palestinians died, CNN said.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20048363-93.html#ixzz1IaQhWE6g