Michael Dieter on Sun, 15 May 2011 11:41:49 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> ISEA 2011 fees

Hi Nettime,

I would like to chime in publicly to support everything outlined here
by Nick. I will be attending ISEA 2011, but was also shocked by the
fees. While I am hoping to attain some institutional support, I have
nevertheless attended conferences as a graduate student in the past
without any funding and am well-aware of working with limited
resources. Conference expenses are one of those issues that perhaps is
not a topic of critical discussion often enough, there's significant
questions about intellectual labour, access and support around this
seemingly pragmatic necessity to charge attendees.

Thanks for bringing this up Nick, I'm interested in the response from
the organizing committee.

- M.

----
Michael Dieter
Mediastudies
University of Amsterdam

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Nicholas Knouf <nak44@cornell.edu> wrote:

> (Apologies if you have seen this already, but I think it's appropriate
> for nettime as well.)
>
> Hello nettime,
>
> I presume that there are many nettimers who are planning on attending
> ISEA 2011 in Istanbul this year.  If you have not looked at the
> registration fees for the conference, prepare yourself for some sticker
> shock.  The fees seem to be disproportionately expensive for a
 <...>