Brian Holmes on Sun, 15 May 2011 11:33:33 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> ISEA 2011 fees

On 05/12/2011 11:52 PM, Nicholas Knouf wrote:

These fees make me seriously reconsider my participation in ISEA 2011.
I wonder if our money is not better spent organizing a
counter-conference that does not discriminate based on ability to pay.
Perhaps we would then be able to have a real "international symposium on
electronic art".

Electronic art has always been the bastard child of corporate sponsorship -- sometimes disguised through the dodgy mediation of academic prestige. Yet electronic art is one of the most important set of lenses/vehicles that we have for the perception of global systems.

Nick's suggestion is the most interesting one I've heard since the days of
the Next 5 Minutes. Why don't we self-organize a collective inquiry into
the development of planetary information/visualization/communication
systems? Why don't we all take the time, spend/generate/divert the cash and
above all, do the serious work required to find out how the world is being
run next summer in 2012? Why continue to cling to the corporate/academic
ship while its sinking and taking everyone else with it? Why not put some
love and some teeth back into the word autonomy?

best, Brian