Sascha D. Freudenheim on Mon, 30 May 2011 19:04:57 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Rapture billboard

I agree with Dave -- and in answer to Michael's original question, would say that while there does seem to have been a small (small!) minority of people who gave up their regular lives to prep for Rapture, this became a big story more because of the media's willingness to fetishize it than anything else. Living in NYC, I saw the trucks with Rapture-related advertisements prowling the streets, but they all had out-of-state license plates. And I don't know a single person (including a few devout Christians) who took this seriously -- except as serious fun.

Sascha

On May 30, 2011, at 9:14 AM, David Mandl <dmandl@panix.com> wrote:

> Hi Patrice--
>
> I think you're giving these people more credit than they deserve.
 <...>