Mathilde muPe on Tue, 28 Jun 2011 14:01:30 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Are we in 1935 Germany or 21st Century Netherlands?

The thing that we see all over Europe is that there is a rise of
rude talk by politicians. Say shit and the media will love you and
everybody will understand the word shit.

There is a spiral of increase in hate talk . Hopefully average people
have learned from the past, not to echo those words in the street,
hurt each other with words. Because next there will be fights and
broken windows.

To be honest the spiral of hate before WOII was already present in
1850 east Europe. It was a clumsy response to people on the move who
had no country of their own. It was a sign that even in the time of
salons and cigars politicians did not have an answer to each and every
problem. In the end it is us (including politicians) our duty to cope
with shortages /frictions in a civilised manner.

The friction we have now is not the islam but the feeling of
being lost as democratic voter to an invisible higher power. This
is expressed by annoying laws forced upon us ' because EU says
so'...(This is happening in the Netherlands). The people who vote for
PVV feel detached, disconnected, without influence. They do not hate
islam, researchers found that they may even disagree with Wilders on
that point, but they do like him to stir things up. Because yes at
time dutch politicians seem like puppets on invisible strings, lacking
a vision engraved on their agenda .

I hope one day there will be sort of education for people who aspire
to become a politician. Not to dictate their ideas but to filter
the rotten apples / or rotten methodology out of the flow before it
reaches the velvet seats.

But could Netherlands have a situation like Germany 1935 ? No, the
Netherlands is a small swamp nation, habitated in dark ages by people
on the move who did not dare to return to higher grounds to fight for
their place but who took accepted their fate and settled in a swamp...
In time the swamp got dry and attractive but still the tradition of
making compromisses exists.

Mathilde