nettime's_entropist on Mon, 25 Jul 2011 15:20:48 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> universitas gulagiensis digest [goldhaber, hopkins, mitropoulos, myers, mp]]

Michael H Goldhaber <mgoldh@well.com>
     Re: <nettime> some more nuanced thoughts on SWARTZ
John Hopkins <jhopkins@neoscenes.net>
     Re: <nettime> Aaron Swartz charged for downloading too many Journal
Angela Mitropoulos <s0metim3s@gmail.com>
     Re: <nettime> No JSTOR downloads or bicycle-helmet-masks for you
Rob Myers <rob@robmyers.org>
     Re: <nettime> some more nuanced thoughts on SWARTZ
mp <mp@aktivix.org>
     Re: <nettime> some more nuanced thoughts on SWARTZ

From: Michael H Goldhaber <mgoldh@well.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> some more nuanced thoughts on SWARTZ
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 21:25:36 -0700

Even though he's gone, I'm still in a certain amount of shock at his
thought processes. What in "'publicly funded research' " doesn't he
understand? Usually this refers to researchers being paid, directly or
indirectly by state agencies of some sort. Or are we now to understand
they are all voluntees hoping to get a slice of the payments for
downloading their articles? And somehow I doubt that reading publicly
supported papers for free is what Rand had in mind, though I can't say
I've ever read her.

Best,
Michael

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 24, 2011, at 8:20 PM, t byfield <tbyfield@panix.com> wrote:

> OK, guys, it's safe -- he's gone. Finally, we can stop pretending to be=20=
 <...>