Angela Mitropoulos on Thu, 4 Aug 2011 00:55:09 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Conor Friedersdorf: The Legislation That Could Kill Internet Privacy for Good (The Atlantic)

There has been some discussion and analysis of this, in relation to the
internet but also politics more generally, but surely not enough.

There was the Livejournal Strikethrough of 2007
<http://fanlore.org/wiki/Strikethrough>. The Northern Territory
Intervention in Australia (which, among other things, banned internet
porn; and as it unfolds has become a series of significant reforms to
welfare, generally awful ones)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Territory_National_Emergency_Response>.
Some good discussion/analysis at this last year
<http://lists.cdu.edu.au/pipermail/csaa-forum/Week-of-Mon-20101025/002859.html>.
And there was, of course, the furor over the Bill Henson exhibition in
Sydney a few years back.

There are three books I'd recommend: Lauren Berlant's The Queen of
America, which discusses the rise (during the period of the Reagan
presidency) of a politics of the American fetus and the American child;
Joanne Faulkner's, The Importance of Being Innocent: Why We Worry About
Children; and Lee Edelman's No Future.

That said, I've not come across a sustained history/analysis of this in
relation to the internet specifically. I'd be interested to know if I've
missed something along those lines. It's become so pivotal to the
reorganisation of politics, welfare, communication, and more besides,
that -- while I know that criticism is often circumvented by the more or
less explicit accusation that critics must be defending child porn (or
worse) -- I wonder at the rarity of intellectual and political bravery.
I also wonder whether it's at all possible to analyse emerging forms of
internet censorship without confronting this aspect.

best,
Angela