nettime's_bean_counter on Wed, 9 Nov 2011 23:32:16 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> N4K

Dear nettimers,

    2594 subs/Regular
    1406 subs/Digests
    -----------------
    4000 subs/Total

The planet now 'officially' has seven billion people and, as of
today, four thousand of them are subscribed to <nettime-l>. The list
continues its slow (at times no-) growth trajectory. It seems like
it's taken just over 6 years to add the last 500 people to the list,
as you can see from the last announcement on this matter we sent out
in 2005 (see below), but numbers can be deceptive: in that time, the
software that runs nettime has become much more precise about weeding
out nonfunctional addresses.

Every so often we wonder if nettime, as a project, still makes sense.
Without fail, when doubts grow, the quality of the discussions picks
up and shows once again a desire for exchanges that aren't reduced to
hierarchical post-versus-comment formats, 'personalized' social network
malls, or the prison of 'real-time.'

The subscription base has a low but constant churn. Lots are Gmail
addresses, of course; but many are academic, often with the telltale
numbered username that suggests a transient relationship with the
institution -- in a word, students. When so many entities in nettime's
'space' face the false dilemma 'grow or die,' this kind of gradual
refresh is, well, very refreshing.

For more than 16 years now, nettime has eschewed institutions and money
completely. Instead, collective interest and generosity, patience and
persistence have kept it going -- and keep it going.

nettime's mod squad (Felix Stalder and Ted Byfield)