Andres Manniste on Sun, 11 Dec 2011 20:52:25 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Petra Cortright's VVebcam is removed by Google

Google has banned Petra Cortright's video "VVebcam" because of her search terms. Her important art piece expresses the ridiculousness of search terms and in the infinite wisdom of Google, is banned for its use of such terms!

<<<Dear petracortright:

Thank you for submitting your video appeal to YouTube.

After further review of the content, we've determined that your video does violate our Community Guidelines and have upheld our original decision. We appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

— The YouTube Team>>>

VVebcam, a Rhizome Artbase selection, has been written about, discussed and published throughout the world. Furthermore, Google has removed an art work that is taught regularly in art schools. Petra Cortright has a solid reputation as an artist therefore I think that "deceptive" is an inappropriate term to describe work by one of the brightest minds in the contemporary art community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPaCCBE-K1g

http://petracortright.com/vvebcam.html

http://archive.rhizome.org/artbase/53474/vvebcam.html

Andres Manniste