carl guderian on Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:12:35 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Zombie 2.0 Subjectivity

Oh my god, how could I have neglected one of the awesomest zombie movies ever: "Return of the Living Dead" (1985)? Dan O'Bannon, of "Alien" fame, gott the jump on George Romero's second sequel, Day of the Dead, by a few months. The movie is also considered a venerable ancestor to the psychobilly scene, and you can see why.

Punk rockers, among scream queen Linnea Quigley, encounter zombies at a mortuary, where one of their friends works (naturally!). The zombies are, per the canon, fairly slow and have been created by human agency (by a leak of toxic military chemicals in this case), but they have intelligence, so they can (hilariously) lure the living to their doom. And they hate being brought back to life, because it hurts. A lot. The zombies get their own back in a way that might be tempting to the Occupiers who were pepper-sprayed and beaten off public land. The ending is encouraging, too (for the zombies, that is).

Great lines, funny as hell. Excellent 1980s punk soundtrack.

"Send more cops!"

Carl