Carl McKinney on Sun, 12 Feb 2012 05:02:12 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Sex Work and Consent at @transmediale

as my wrists, neck, shoulders, back, and butt remind me, writing (whether inane or not) is a profoundly embodied practice. academics sell their bodies as do day laborers and sex workers. see martha nussbaum's "whether from reason or prejudice." which is not to suggest these activities are all the same, but to question what makes selling sex different from other ways we sell ourselves? and then we also have to consider different types of sex work (and indeed different types of sex - must it involve penetration??), and how these finer gradations tend to blur into other types of affective labor and other types of relationships that involve economic exchange.

-c