Jonathan Marshall on Sun, 4 Mar 2012 03:33:53 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Political-Economy and Desire

Morlock writes:

>There is pretty much a consensus that in the first world only about
>10-15% need to work to provide *all* goods and services. Then,
>depending on the system, there are 15-20% of the armed guards (police,
>military, etc), and the rest are sort of ... redundant. Hence
>unemployment and poverty.

Whence the 'hence'?

I dare say i'm not the only person old enough to remember the days when these kinds of figures about production (not sure where they come from, but lets pretend) were used to promise us all (by whom?) that automation, and the information society, would lead to a paradisical world, in which we all exchanged whatever we wanted to produce in our spare time, and lived freely off perhaps working one day a week, or a couple of hours a week.

The 'hence povery' here seems to me to arise from ignoring the 'structures' of work, 'structures' of ownership, 'structures' of power, and the 'structures' of distribution, amongst a few other things....

jon

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or
attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney.
Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.