Armin Medosch on Wed, 7 Mar 2012 12:50:02 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> What do you think about .art?

Hi,

I happened to meet Desiree last night and therefore think that her mail
does not explain the issue as well as she did in our conversation.

Our old 'friend' ICANN (Ted, we miss your comments on that;-) is
releasing new generic Top Level Domains. It is posible that some
business interests would grab .art to make a lot of money from already
suffering artists.

So Desiree was wondering if it was possible to launch a last minute bid
to mobilise people really interested in and involved in art. Maybe the
necessary application fee could be crowdsourced and maybe an art
friendly internet business could be found to manage the gTLD.

Desiree's business model is, if I have understood that right, once the
domain starts generating profits to channel that back to artists in
need. Good idea.

Of course for some on this list this will trigger memories of namespace
etc.

cheers
Armin

On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 23:59 +0000, Desiree Miloshevic wrote:
> Hi
>
> There is a limited opportunity to apply for dotART domain name by April 12.

<....>