Newmedia on Thu, 3 May 2012 23:20:56 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The insult of the 1 percent: "Art-history majors"

Brian:

> Imagine a world from which art has been surgically removed.
> Replace it with entertainment and compete 'till you're blue.

As  you know, artists have "always" depended on patrons -- as reflected in
the $120M  bid for Munch's SCREAM yesterday (and the way that Munch became a
cultural  "hero" in Norway).

This relationship between the "elite" and the "artists" certainly  changed
in the 20th but that's more a function of the changes in the  elites than in
the artists.

In particular, there are no longer any culturally *coherent* elites in the
WEST . . . while there are still plenty of artists looking for patrons!!

It is this lack of cultural COHERENCE that presents those of us in the West
 with our greatest challenge.

This is, in fact, exactly the province, indeed obligation, of  ARTISTS.
Exactly what is our culture?

Whether it began with "Soviet Realism" or the Nazi denunciation of
"decadent" art and whether it was institutionalized by the CIA Cold War
championing of Abstract Expressionism in the 1950s, 20th century art largely
reflected the *disintegration* of any cultural coherence.

Nelson Rockefeller referred to the Museum of Modern Art as "mommies museum"
 and, as I often suggest to those who are trying to make sense of
statements  about the "humans disappearing," there are few recognizable
representations of  humans hanging on its walls.

> Is it maybe time to give up being neutral?

Indeed.  But  "neutral" about what?

How about being "neutral" about (or even hostile to) WESTERN culture?

You want to deal with the 1% who want to eliminate the "art history majors"
 (when, in fact, that's what many of them took as college degrees) -- then
give  them some actual *culture* to have to face up to.

Otherwise, it's just more play-acting . . . that only feeds the budgets of
the SWAT teams (i.e. the "patrons" of today's "street-art")!

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY

In a message dated 5/3/2012 3:58:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,