Alan Sondheim on Sun, 3 Jun 2012 10:20:35 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Internet immediate future, through E-Week

You might want to check the following out; one of the things that fascinates me is the enormity of the next - and yet we continue to theorize as if it's somehow comprehended. I'm part of the Electronic Literature Organization for example, and mostly see the same names over and over again - and yet, with so many hundreds and hundreds of millions of people online, there have to be whole continents of thought we're unfamiliar with. I know in one area I'm concerned with - world-wide animal extinction - there are so many hotspots and so many populations on the move or in difficulty, that it's impossible to keep track of things, much less effect them. In any case, statistics like these are wake-up calls, but I'm not sure to what -

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Enterprise-Networking/Cisco-The-Internet-in-2016-by-the-Numbers-394993/?kc=EWKNLNAV06012012STR1