www.nettime.org
Nettime mailing list archives

<nettime> EXL digest [x3: mp, hopkins, elloi]
nettime's_forbidden_city on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 00:50:09 +0200 (CEST)


[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

<nettime> EXL digest [x3: mp, hopkins, elloi]


Re: <nettime> Eric X. Li: Democracy Is Not the Answer.
     mp <mp {AT} aktivix.org>
     John Hopkins <jhopkins {AT} neoscenes.net>
     Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi {AT} yahoo.com>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 11:12:08 +0100
From: mp <mp {AT} aktivix.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Eric X. Li: Democracy Is Not the Answer.

On 07/07/12 01:18, Flick Harrison wrote:

> Li is a clown.  Somebody put a pie in his face.
> 
> Come on, nettimers.  As they say, Democracy is the worst system,
> except for all the others.

Yea, man - the west is the best, fuck the rest!

Keep on rocking in the free world

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 22:39:46 -0700
From: John Hopkins <jhopkins {AT} neoscenes.net>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Eric X. Li: Democracy Is Not the Answer..

ei MP --

> No, I do not think that capitalism and democracy are inseperable evils,
> rather I understand the two terms as two distinct angles to describe the
> same period in European history: one of enclosure, colonialism,
> suppression, enforcement of extreme laws of ownership and so on. And one
> of fucking people over while, miraculously, successfully, giving them
> the idea that they are realising, living, choosing freedom.

hehe, comes to mind that you might read a copy of the latest month's "American 
Rifleman"* from front to back to get a certain perspective on Freedom.

Cheers,
JH

* house 'zine of the NRA
-- 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
John Hopkins
Watching the Tao rather than watching the Dow!
http://neoscenes.net/
http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:18:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi {AT} yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Eric X. Li: Democracy Is Not the Answer.

This is the perfect trap.

As long as it is ideologically impossible to prevent robots from voting (because in democracy everyone can participate), the machine will go on.

Ignoring the fact that the majority can be predictably and consistently instructed to vote whatever the media pipe owners want them to, is just stupid. There are no signs that the media pipe monopolies can be sustainably defeated.

The obvious solution is to push for the voter tests and fail robots. One needs a license to drive a car. Voting kills far more people.

Well, it hasn't been tried (unlike the "educating the public" utopia.) 

> Under conditions of multi-party elections and mass-media propaganda
> shaping? "public opinion," you might well claim that this is in fact not?
> "democracy."?  You would be right but then the rest of your argument
> "would? lack any basis.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


#  distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission
#  <nettime>  is a moderated mailing list for net criticism,
#  collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets
#  more info: http://mx.kein.org/mailman/listinfo/nettime-l
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime {AT} kein.org