Newmedia on Mon, 30 Jul 2012 02:58:03 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> The Revolution Will Not Be Televised!!

Folks:

I'm curious about why there is so little discussion, let alone *righteous*
anger, about television on this list?

Could it be that many of those who post actually want their thoughts and
actions to be noticed -- by television?

"Activist" often connotes those who participate in *demonstrations* -- so
what is being "demonstrated" to whom and how?

And what is the relationship between *demonstrating* and the evening  news?

"Terrorism" also makes no sense without television.  TERROR has to
communicated to a *mass* audience and that's where television comes in.  In
crucial terms, if it isn't on television then it didn't happen.

OCCUPY began with a call from the glossy magazine ADBUSTERS.  That  always
struck me as an odd approach.  Fight advertising by coming up with  ads
against ads -- WTF?

Do you *fight* brainwashing with more brainwashing?  Do you  combat
psychological warfare with a "better" version of the same  thing?

In Gestalt psychological terms, this is phenomenon is well known and is
often described in terms such as Figure & Ground.

We obsess over the *figures* (i.e. the capitalists, 1%ers, police, church,
state, etc.), while we ignore the *ground* of our experiences (i.e.
television,  mass-media, advertising, etc.)

I've been hanging out with this crowd for 15 years now and it seems that
the RADICAL roots of what is actually going on are relentlessly "off  limits."

What am I missing?

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY