Jaromil on Fri, 28 Sep 2012 12:43:49 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> P2P Foundation: A Synthetic Overview of the Collaborative Economy (new book)

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012, Felix Stalder wrote:

>  This is a fascinating study and while it's couched in business terms, after
>  all it was commissioned by French Telco Orange,

Staying on the linguistic surface (below that, is there something
new?) what is fascinating is the use of certain terms..

"collaborative" rather than "cooperative"
- maybe this is just a prank to make Volker Grassmuck hangry :^)

or "horizontal intermediation" rather than disintermediation

I will admit, I didn't read the whole book and I doubt I can do that.

My impression is that, while trying to describe cultural phenomenons
in business terms, we are loosing a certain linguistic territory: it
is the kind of semantic slide that brought University to become an
Enterprise. Still I can well understand those who are sick and tired
to be marginal and look for leverage in business language... good luck
with corporate evangelism!

But those who haven't given up to that seem to be playing defense all
the time: meanwhile neo-lib language can well appropriate concepts as
"peer to peer" (and ultimately, "commons") using them in arguments
against public sector.

Beware corporations have reached to adapt to change in the past, they
will soon in the future and that's the very process we are shown. That
said, I'm also sure corporations will never stop to be anti-social
apparata.

The real problem is not within the nature of public sector, rather
than its practice.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Its not the language that should change, but the people speaking it.

ciao

--
http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39