Newmedia on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 17:08:59 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> living systems theory [2x]

John:

>In general, living systems process more information
>than non-living systems, with the possible exception
>of computers which have greater information  processing
>capabilities.

Really?  On what basis would *anyone* think that machines can be  compared
in this way with humans or, for that matter, other living  organisms?

The only one I can think of is the desire to "replace" the one with the
other (e.g. "immanentize the Eschaton") -- as in Ray Kurzweil and his
"pill-popping" cheat-death sideshow, the Singularity.

Kurzweil -- who is now designing a "brain" at Google (good luck!), after it
 became clear that he wasn't being appreciated at Google-backed Singularity
 University (which has now become a New Age MBA program) -- got his first
big  popularity boost by George Gilder, who wrote a chapter on him (titled
"The Age  of Intelligent Machines," the same as Ray's 1990 book) in his
best-selling 1989  "Microcosm: The Quantum Revolution in Economics and
Technology."

George, who is a radical "millenialist," sold Ray to the world.   And the
acknowledgements for Microcosm has a curious sentence, "At the end, Mark
Stahlman of Sanford C. Bernstein gave me the benefit of his sophisticated
insights on information technology and his broader sense of the philosophical
issues of the microcosm."

What did I do for George?  I edited all his remarks about the 2nd Law  of
Thermodynamics out of the book.  I was trained as a Molecular Geneticist  and
my "godfather" was Norbert Wiener, so I have had a chance to think a bit
about the topic of the living vs. cybernetic -- without the *religious* and
*ideological* confusions that Gilder, the "economist," overlays on all  this.

George has another book coming out this spring.  What's it on?   The 2nd
Law of Thermodynamics!  (Sometimes they never learn.  <g>)

Machines are FUNDAMENTALLY different from humans and other living
creatures.  Thinking otherwise is just confused or, as Wiener put it,  "bamboozled"
and the result of "intellectual laziness"!

Machines will *never* become CONSCIOUS because that's an "organic"
development, which has a completely different etiology and,  crucially, teleology.
Why would a machine have any "interest" in any  of that?  But why some
humans might be interested is very different  story.  Some people *really* want
to "change the world"!

As I stressed in my review of George Dyson's 2012 "Turing's Cathedral: The
Origins of the Digital Universe," he is correct that software isn't "life"
but  is in fact something quite new and different -- which deserves to be
investigated with its own "biologists" etc.

_http://m.strategy-business.com/article/120301?gko=396e7_
(http://m.strategy-business.com/article/120301?gko=396e7)

Enough about the past.  What happens when people recognize that  "living
systems theory" doesn't MAKE ANY SENSE?

What will they come up with to replace it?

And, with Wiener's predictions about robots replacing human workers coming
true (the latest machines can replace lab-bench experimenting post-docs),
will  people pay any attention to what he said in his 1950 "The Human Use of
Human  Beings" (a topic of some interest at the 1997 "Beauty and the East"
nettime  meeting in Ljublana)?

Maybe, after 15+ years, it's time for another of these "squad  meetings" .
. . ??

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY