nettime's_cud_chewer on Thu, 13 Jun 2013 06:37:56 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> no *really* digest [mckelvey, newmedia]

Re: We are what we tweet: The Problem with a Big Data World

     Fenwick Mckelvey <mckelveyf@gmail.com>
     Newmedia@aol.com

From: Fenwick Mckelvey <mckelveyf@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 12:04:56 -0700
Subject: Re: <nettime> We are what we tweet: The Problem with a Big Data World

Hi Mark,
Thanks for clarification. As we revise this piece, I think I'll draw
on the later criticism of Weiner more. I've added God & Golem to my
reading list.

I also think this term 'free expression' is meant to chaff with some
of the rhetoric around social media. I would distinguish between
techniques of control, that are prevelant on social media, with the
data-mining/simulation. There has been lots of good work on this idea
of control online, but I hoped this article added another dimension --
namely how these media become inputs into kinds of organization
visions for states, stock markets and security firms. Good link to the
Simpson work. I have also been looking into work on the New Political
Science which brought computers into the field of Political Science as
tools of simulation.

Couple questions for you if you don't mind:
1) Any suggestions on whether McLuhan or Weiner were in contact? Or
work of McLuhan on cybernetics directly?
2) Any sense of the relation of Karl Deutsch to all this? I assume
that's who McLuhan meant when referring to the Deutsch-Wiener"
approach .
3) The quote we use from McLuhan seems to echo a kind of cybernetic
promise. The idea that communication systems could achieve homeostasis
and keep the world cool. Do you think he's being fictitious there?

And, no, York/ Ryerson is in Toronto and so it's always draw an
influence from McLuhan and Innis as well. I just find McLuhan had a
tendency to consult and speak to management. He worked at McLuhan,
Goldhaber, Williams, Inc. a research firm founded by Marshall McLuhan
where he offered political consulting for example. All this to say
that I find his role as a critic somewhat ambiguous.

Thanks in advance and apologies for the delay as I was away last week.

Best,
Fenwick

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 12:59 PM,  <Newmedia@aol.com> wrote:

> Fenwick:
>
> The point I believe Fred Turner will be talking about in "Democratic
> Surround" will be the origins of the notion of "control by choice" --
> particularly as this was seen to be part of the "democratic personality" (as
> opposed to the "authoritarian personality") which became a major focus in
> the psychological warfare community before/during/after WW II.
>
> As I highlighted in an earlier post, Gregory Bateson was particularly
> important in formulating all this -- as reflected in his 1942 "Comments on
> 'The Comparative Study of Culture and the Purposive Cultivation of
> Democratic Values'" (where the original study was by his then-wife, Margaret
> Mead), which was then reprinted with the title "Social Planning and the
> Concept of Deutero-Learning" in his 1972 "Steps to an Ecology of Mind."
>
> This is where Bateson talks about "rigging the maze" to give the illusion of
> "free will."  It is important to remember that *control* was widely
> understood by the early 50s as something that could only be done by people
> to themselves -- which then became the basis for the entire Cold War theme
> of "freedom" and "democracy" against the "totalitarianism" of the Soviet
> enemy.  Later this becomes the basis of "terror," which is mass-media
> technique meant to drive behavior through broadcasting fear, as specialized
> in by CNN etc.
>
> Accordingly, social media "free expression" isn't that at all, since what
> gets expressed is limited by the "design" of the *maze* and "data-mining"
> can only produce statistics on which direction people go when they come to a
> "corner" and make one of the predetermined "choices."  For better-and-worse,
> you really don't learn much about people when you treat them like rats!
>
> All of this, btw, derives from the Calvinist/Puritan fascination with
> "predestination" and the desire to be "as Gods" (i.e. the ones who set up
> the "maze") -- as reflected in the slogan of Stewart Brand's Whole Earth
> Catalog.
>
> Just for the record -- *neither* Wiener nor McLuhan were "architects" of
> anything that could be called the "cybernetics project," importantly because
> neither of them had "Puritan" (i.e. make a more "pure" human) pretensions --
> unlike Bateson, Mead and many others.
>
> Architects -- No.  Critics -- Yes.
>
> Wiener is explicit in the Introduction to his 1948 "Cybernetics" that he
> refused to work with Bateson/Mead and McLuhan (despite what Richard Barbrook
> has to say about him <g>) had little to do with any of this, other than
> criticizing what he called the "Deutsch-Wiener" approach for being "quite
> unable of itself to see beyond or around technology" (as published in his
> March 1951 letter to Harold Innis.)
>
> If the people at York/Ryerson (or elsewhere) have linked McLuhan to
> "cybernetics," then they have made a basic mistake in scholarship.  Norbert
> [...]

I try to respond to emails at 9:30 and 1:30pm daily (PST).

Fenwick McKelvey
Postdoctoral Fellow
Visiting Scholar, University of Washington
http://fenwickmckelvey.com