Brian Holmes on Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:07:45 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Whole Earth Conference + Turner interview

On 07/29/2013 09:57 AM, Karen O'Rourke wrote:

Brian, I think we sometimes need clearly drawn theoretical storylines
(or pat simplifications, if you will) to allow some rewiring to take
place (keep those neurons on their toes). We need to get Turner's map in
our heads before we can confront it with our own experience.
Yes, his thesis does resemble that of Boltanski & Chiapello whose
arguments are well documented. In spite of that, I don't think we're
done with artistic critique. But it needs to grapple with/process their
critique if it wants to be more than a neoliberal managerial mantra.

I gotta say, I like this answer.

I could explain the consequences of absorbing a similar map to Turner's way back in the late '90s. But I am hands down more interested in how people grapple with that kind of critique today!

Tell us - in words or deeds.

best, BH