dan on Tue, 29 Oct 2013 06:05:29 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Chris Hedge: Our Invisible revolution

> This is where we are headed. I do not say this because I am a supporter of
> revolution. I am not. I prefer the piecemeal and incremental reforms of a
> functioning democracy. I prefer a system in which our social institutions
> permit the citizenry to nonviolently dismiss those in authority. I prefer
> a system in which institutions are independent and not captive to
> corporate power. But we do not live in such a system. Revolt is the only
> option left.

If someone can reach Mr. Hughes, then send this:

  Those considered far right and those considered far left have
  never been closer in outlook and their lists of what to
  overturn.  Once it is both ends against the middle, you enter
  a pre-revolutionary setting.  That is what we have now: both
  ends against the middle; it is only the middle class that is
  shrinking.  It is only the middle of the country that is
  depopulating.  It is only the middle for which the right to be
  left alone has its historic and substantial meaning.

--dan