Rob Myers on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 20:44:09 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> GoldieBlox, fair use, and the cult of disruption

On 03/12/13 01:37 AM, nettime's avid reader wrote:

> most importantly, they have a long-standing policy
> that no Beastie Boys songs shall ever be used in commercial
> advertisements. (They don’t mention, although they could, that this last
> was actually an explicit dying wish of Adam Yauch, a/k/a MCA, and an
> integral part of his will.)

For fans of the Beastie Boys, GoldieBlox don't seem to know very much
about them (or how to use apostrophes):

"We want you to know that when we posted the video, we were completely
unaware that the late, great Adam Yauch had requested in his will that
the Beastie Boys songs never be used in advertising."

http://gigaom.com/2013/11/27/goldieblox-removes-beastie-boys-lyrics-from-girl-power-video-smart-or-cynical/

GoldieBlox had more of a case than many people think:

http://waxy.org/2013/11/goldieblox_and_the_three_mcs/

But if I had to choose a poster child for Fair Use, this certainly
wouldn't be it.