Felix Stalder on Tue, 7 Jan 2014 03:56:20 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Anonymous movement in decline?

I've been reading a lot of Zygmunt Bauman lately, and he points out that
there are two control regimes operating at the same time. One is about
keeping people out, and the other is about keeping those who are in in
line. One relies on old-fashioned repression through border guards,
police, deportation etc, the other on what he calls "voluntary
servitude" via maintaining one's profile, credit score, cv etc.

In this world, the willingness to submit is not enough, one has to be
allowed to enter the world of self-policing, which is, today, the normal
life. Seen from the other side of the fence, is the good life.

Felix

On 01/06/2014 06:48 PM, Jo van der Spek M2M wrote:

> contributing to this line of thinking:
>
> The most striking demand of the Amsterdam-based movement of
> refugees-on-the-street, operating since september 2012 under the name We Are
> Here, is both radical and banal:
>
> Normal Life.
>
> Makes one think, no?
 <...>