Keith Hart on Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:22:19 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Post-Postism,

Patrick,

Thank you for saying so elegantly what I have been thinking for the
past 30 years or more. I always felt that the promise of fundamental
change was illusory in the 60s and 70s. Things started really moving
in the 80s. OK it was neoliberalism, but for the first time I knew
that history was on the move. Of course it's impossible to understand
our contemporary dilemmas without going further back than that. Yet
the literati produced as their blinding insight into that transitional
decade the hangover of postmodernism, deconstruction, the commonplace
that the contrasts of the Cold War were leaking into each other (what
Hegel called negative dialectic). Postism is decadent or at best
retro. What is postcolonial theory if not nationalism with its eyes
glued to the rearview mirror?

Keith

--
Prof. Keith Hart