Patrice Riemens on Sun, 23 Mar 2014 15:55:37 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> an historic retreat

Hi Felix & Dan,

Well, yes, that is basically correct immo. There was, and is, a lot amiss
with ICANN, a.o.t. its bending for commercial interests - or at least
viewpoints, its greediness in fees-setting and to sell ever more 'virtual
estate', and the such, but on the whole, it's a dispensation quite akin to
democracy: "the least bad system ... etc." The problem is that its
statutes, as a US para-statal of sorts, has simply become untenable 'after
Snowden'. Not for intrinsic reasons, but for political ones.

Probably many people (& I guess me too) would have wished Obama/ the
Administration had done nothing, gambling on the situation to fade away by
itself. For which reasons they have done it is a bit of a puzzle. Maybe it
has to do with something Snowden knows and we still don't.

Cheers, p+5D!

> Hi Dan,
>
> I must say, I've never really understood the politics around ICANN. That
> has always been too arcane for me. So I don't understand this
> development either.

<...>