dan on Sun, 23 Mar 2014 21:44:29 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> an historic retreat

Michael, et al., I can think of no one better to quote than
Phil Agre, who I suspect is well known hereabouts.

  The global integration of the economy is likewise commonly held
  to decentralize political power by discouraging governments from
  taking actions that can be reversed through cross-border arbitrage.
  But political power is becoming centralized in equally important
  ways: the power of national governments is not so much disappearing
  as shifting to a haphazard collection of undemocratic and
  nontransparent global treaty organizations, and the power to
  influence these organizations is likewise concentrating in the
  ever-fewer global firms. These observations are not pleasant or
  fashionable, but they are nonetheless true.

Read the rest at

  The Market and the Net:
  Personal Boundaries and the Future of Market Institutions
  http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/pagre/boundaries.html

--dan