d.garcia on Tue, 8 Apr 2014 22:29:00 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> The rise of the 'clamourati'

The rise of the ?clamourati?

Today?s media in England are in full throated ?clamour? mode.

The status of whether something constitutes a genuine political scandal can
be determined by whether (and to what degree) it is accompanied by the
editorial clich? a ?clamour?. Oh we brits love a juicy word ! But for full
effect the 'c' word must be accompanied by the addition of the word
'resignation' or better yet 'sacking' as the outcome they/we are supposed to
be clamouring for.

Clamouring is much in evidence today with the controversy swirling around
the government?s culture minister?s the unfortunate Maria Miller and what
was deemed her *too* perfunctory apology (the nuances of English apology
culture?how and when to say sorry -particularly if you don't mean it - is
Arcane indeed). But the spectacle of today's 'clamour culture' in full cry
has all the fascination of a particularly nasty traffic accident. Each politician
on live news media (whatever they have they have been invited to talk
about) is ritually asked when and how Ms Miller should fall on her sword.
Their reply is rarely candid and never illuminating but one thing is clear,
we now need a new collective noun for all the participants: how about
?the clamourati? ?