Tjebbe van Tijen on Tue, 8 Apr 2014 22:39:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> TakeOver.app / BEYOND SIMULATION a post Flight MH370 "no more pilots" passenger application

TakeOver.app / BEYOND SIMULATION
when passengers pass from the virtual into the real
a safety .app for when the pilots are not anymore in control
-
this is a text belonging to a tableau picture that can be found at

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7141213@N04/13714352273/

It seems 'a bad joke' but one can also think it as an airplane safety option in the future. Think back art all those airplane disaster movies, whereby a non-pilot, or someone who knows a tiny bit about airplanes is guided over the radio to land a plane full of panicking passengers, hard but safe in the end.

With the sophisticated interactive software of our time and many people using it just for fun in gaming or dedicated simulation systems, one could imagine such a contraption as a last resort solution.

The mere thought also makes us ponder over how 'the real' & the so called 'virtual' relate in our times which we wrongly perceive as an area of 'absolute control'.

Though... we can not even think such an option, as immediately one imagines any terrorist breaking into such a system. Still with the 'precise attacks' by remote controlled airplanes, drones, being a daily reality one keeps thinking if such switching from the 'virtual' to the 'real' could be thought in a positive way also.