© Robbins on Mon, 14 Apr 2014 02:51:37 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Douglas Belkin, Caroline Porter: Corporate Cash Alters

My 2?:

Actually these "trends" have been recognized as in existence for far longer .  Relative to my own experience on the academy ( in California, ) their both overt and covert "influence" relative to the directives of curricula has been exercised since the mid-'90's.  The Universities and Colleges were the R&D centers for funding entities - especially corporate entities as they excised R& D from their business plans.  When funding state university curricula they received both the R& D , as well as tax benefits = a rise in corporate profit = happy stockholders. and we all know the spiral far too well.

To mind mind, this initial corporate R&D was merely sublimated in the States since 9/11 by the significant funding directives of Homeland Security and are now coming back to light as the specter of terrorism has been back-staged a bit and the R&D from the military has made its way into consumer manufacturing/product lines.

Best,

Chris

On Apr 13, 2014, at 8:40 AM, Brian Holmes wrote:

> On 04/13/2014 01:54 AM, Patrice Riemens wrote:
>
>> More companies are entering partnerships with colleges to help design
>> curricula, as state universities seek new revenue and industry tries
>> to close a yawning skills gap.
>
> Well, yeah, these are the trends that have been emerging since 2008. The
> corporations want people trained in exactly the kinds of technologies and
> business processes that they use, so they can hire and fire without
> having to invest in what they call "human capital." They also want
> prospective employees to be educated by Internet, so they can easily
> retrain, at their own expense, while in between jobs. To the extent the
> corporations retool universities to these ends, we are going to have a
> very different culture. Call it total neoliberalism.
 <...>

 Christiane Robbins

J e t z t z e i t    S t u d i o s

... the space between zero and one  ...
Walter Benjamin

  Los Angeles  +  San Francisco
CA

" The present age prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality,
the appearance to the essence
for in these days
 illusion only is sacred, truth profane."

Ludwig Feuerbach, 1804-1872