olivier auber on Wed, 14 May 2014 17:23:50 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> tensions within the bay area elites

>  -Are there regional differences in how converging technologies are imagined by science policy (E.U. vs USA vs elsewhere in world)?
>  -Has/How has the transhumanist imagination influenced the direction of software development communities?  Which ones?
> -What is the transhumanist imagination?  How do we characterise it? what social/psychological(technical?) forces create such a strong enthusiasm for the technological sublime? What is its history?

I would like to testify that some voices in the community of "big
picture scientists" begin to scrutinize the hystery of the
transhumanist propaganda which produces an ever rising rate of
announcements, all sounding more and more like "WunderWaffe". For
instance:

- Cliff Jocelyn (Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, ex Los Alamos)
concluded our last seminar at Global Brain Institute on "Modeling
Global Control Systems" by this question: "What will stop the Global
Brain from being just the information oligarchy?"
- Roland BÃnabou (Princeton University) does very good maths on
collective denial and willful blindness: what he calls "Mutually
Assured Delusion" (MAD).
- Jean-Louis Dessallles (Telecom Paristech) proposes a cognitive model
(Simplicity Theory) which points out the fundamental link between
language and weaponry.

As I mentionned it in a recent paper (Les banquiers de la pensÃe), it
can be assumed that, as the language was a strategy of survival
against the threat that weapons poses to the species hundreds of
thousands of years ago, a new strategy will emerge. For my part I bet
that this will require the invention of a "legitimate construction" of
the "digital perspective."

Olivier Auber

WunderWaffe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wunderwaffe
Cliff Jocelyn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Joslyn /
http://ecco.vub.ac.be/?q=node/233
Roland BÃnabou: Groupthink: Collective Delusions in Organizations and
Markets: http://www.princeton.edu/~rbenabou/papers/Groupthink%20IOM%207p%20paper.pdf
Jean-Louis Dessallles: "Why we talk?" (Oxford University Press) /
Simplicity Theory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplicity_theory
Les banquiers de la pensÃe (french):
http://www.cuberevue.com/les-banquiers-pensee/3345
Digital perspective:
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poietic_Generator#Perspectives

> Hi nettimers,
>
> I don't get as much time to read (let alone to post to) nettime as would like but just wanted to underline the previous posts in this thread that made remarks on google/Kurzweil.
 <...>