nettime's_krusty krab on Fri, 16 May 2014 05:30:54 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> do you know the way to san jose digest [x3: hankwitz x2, bentham]

Re: <nettime> tensions within the bay area elites
     Molly Hankwitz <mollyhankwitz@gmail.com>

jeremy bentham <dnw@eskimo.com>
     FLOSS v. proprietary software...

Subject: Re: <nettime> tensions within the bay area elites
From: Molly Hankwitz <mollyhankwitz@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 10:57:07 -0700

Art, others,
I realize I'm taking the bait here, but let's take Marxism 101...there is
nothing "natural" about capitalism.
I must object...

> Quoting Art McGee on corporations:

> You either regulate their behavior, or they will always do what is natural.

Nothing "natural" about capitalism!

Molly

From: Molly Hankwitz <mollyhankwitz@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 12:23:30 -0700

Art,
Thanks for the article on housing crisis.

Without overstating the terribly obvious, I must interject regarding
your post on Google and "evil" that there is nothing "natural" about
capitalism although capitalists would really like us to believe there
is.

I liked this writer's article but

1. she fails to discuss the urban planning proposal Plan A, the regional
planning initiative that foresees "growth" in Bay Area

2. She avoids race and ethnicity, hence "diversity" for which SF is
wonderful, and any substantive discussion of monoculturalism.

3. She does not really discuss a little known fact that in the nineties
more than half the city lived below the poverty line which in CA is
approximately $ 50,000. So when we talk income disparity and
gentrification we are talking about people being priced out of
amenities, bars, stores etc., not just their apartments. We are
talking the city as. "Destination" rather than home and the
transformation of street life.

4. She avoids the recent baby boom which contributes to a "kid"
orientation to the city and many issues good and bad that go with it.
Right now there is a huge debate going on about why upper middle class
and middle class white families "choose private" instead of our
amazing and diverse public school system.

The inner city and the fear of its populations that it conjures cannot
be overestimated. New police stations and policing regimes to support
upscale housing and property values take root against "income
disparity"

People of color --forget the overburdened stereotype of little old
ladies-- have been and continue to be forced out...along with the
cultural richness of their languages, foods, faces and artistic
contributions--while white populations all over the US have increased
their wealth in neo liberal times...it's widely recognized that
Latinos and African Americans have lost substantial wealth in their
communities in the last two decades.  Must be "the system"

If we look at what Occupy had to say about financial matters, we see the
ongoing robbing of American people throughout the last 2 decades, and
this is why misuse of public infrastructure, such as bus stops for a
fabulously rich corporation in SF, has raised the ire of thousands.

It's called "privatization"? --

Molly

> On May 15, 2014, at 12:50 AM, Art McGee <amcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is pretty much the best mainstream article summarizing the current
> issues with gentrification in SF:
 <...>