d.garcia on Sun, 20 Jul 2014 17:40:41 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> More Crisis in the Information Society

I'd like to engage with the last paragraph of Florian's post-

And ask whether the generally low pay and insecure conditions for practitioners
of what have become known as the creative economy really is such a new
phenomenon?

Are the average earnings enjoyed/endured by commercial photographers
(and designers/illustrators/animators/writers) that Florian identifies as
$20,000/year really that much worse than average earnings for these sectors
during other historical periods? Although I don't have data to back this up,
I don't think so.

When I left college way back before the digital revolution, one might also on
average also be lucky to match the income of most factory workers or those in the
building trade. Then as now those who entered the creative domains were not attracted by
the expectation of big pay packets but instead the lure (sometimes delusion) were the
pleasures of creative engagement and the dream of being one of the few to defy the odds
and make it big. There was a decade when tech savvy creatives (dread term)
defied -for a few short years the usual logic of capitalist supply and demand in this area.
But this moment has long since passed and I would argue that we have returned to a
longstanding norm.

Volatility in the creative sector is cyclicle. For instance, in the often overlooked discipline of
illustration a large class of well paid illustrators (engravers) who produced illustrations for
popular Victorian news journals (on an industrial scale) became surplus to requirements
with the introduction of half tone photography to news print.

However illustration did not disappear it re-invented itself as a more expressive and
interpretive craft. And carved a large new niche for itself as publishers and art directors
re-discovered the fact that images sell! They sell arguments, ideology and they sell units.
Today the same domain is undergoing a similar trauma as cheap stock images (among many factors)
are undermining the lively-hoods of commercial editorial illustrators. And forcing adaptation as
some seek to embrace the possibilities of digitally native platforms with thumbnail animations, live data
feeds etc.

I guess what I am saying is that the arts (including the commercial sector) have always
been riskier than most and the rewards of a life of expressive creative engagement has
always had to be balanced against  greater risk and sacrifice. We may aspire to change this
reality but is it really a new set of conditions ?

David Garcia