Fil on Thu, 16 Oct 2014 21:05:15 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Evgeny Morozov and the Perils of "Highbrow Journalism"

Hello Geert,

I think you've summed it up quite well... I'm not sure there's something more
"behind" this.

Was this plagiarism? I don't think so, if the words are original. But for
the historian, the piece is certainly not bringing enough new material (if
at all...), and does not properly quote its main sources (with insults on top
of that...).

However, for the reader of the magazine, it's an unusual and entertaining
piece, bringing light to a great story, that encourages to learn more.

Morozov has apparently more journalistic talent (flair and writing skills)
than scholarly patience, maybe he should stick to "highbrow journalism".

The first time I came across this story was in a book by Armand Mattelart,
sometime in the early 2000's (it would have been "Histoire de la soci?t? de
l'information"), which mentioned Cybersyn in passing.

I then worked on it in 2010 for a short article [1], and discovered both
Pickering's book and Medina's memoir (the book came out later). Both are
very enjoyable and deeply engaging. Read them.

-- Fil

[1] http://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/2010/07/RIVIERE/19389  (with hopefully
proper attributions)