Keith Hart on Thu, 16 Oct 2014 23:43:17 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Evgeny Morozov and the Perils of "Highbrow Journalism"

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the best contribution to this thread. I am sure you are right to
emphasise the contradiction between scholasticism and reaching a broader
public. I am convinced that a lot of it was envy of Morozov's public reach
and I too wonder if his apparently perverse career move into the academic
ghetto was also a factor. The idea of baroque commitment to increasingly
involuted forms surely does speak to the deathknell for late academia. My
favourite example is bureaucratic insistence on including ISBN numbers in
lists of our publications when two words in Google gets the reference for
anything. The dialectic feeds itself. You mention the 80s as a watershed,
but footnotes are almost completely absent from anything written before the
40s. Check out Keynes's A Treatise of Money (two volumes), maybe a handful
of notes in the whole thing.

Cheers,

Keith