darkcrimson on Mon, 20 Oct 2014 18:43:59 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Design patterns, imposed developments and a fracture

Agreed. I've read a lot of bandwagon propaganda regarding systemd and
it's acceptance purely because other distributions are offering it as
default. Bearing in mind that as an Admin, I find it very concerning
to see that Red Hat and CentOS went the way of the desktop, with
Fedora being a more expected change. Bottom line, this is definitely
fueled by desktop benchmarks and (dare I say it) usability factors
that are predominantly Gnome-centric.

I have to agree with what Paul Venezia wrote about systemd:

"While systemd has succeeded in its original goals, it's not stopping
there. systemd is becoming the Svchost of Linux â which I don't think
most Linux folks want. You see, systemd is growing, like wildfire,
well outside the bounds of enhancing the Linux boot experience.
systemd wants to control most, if not all, of the fundamental
functional aspects of a Linux system â from authentication to mounting
shares to network configuration to syslog to cron."

Most will say "What difference does it make?" but I think to end-users
and the like; it makes every bit of difference not being in control,
administrator or not.

The old axiom stands in this regard: Don't put your all of your eggs
in one basket. In the sense of age, I don't think ten years will
change my mind, regardless. -Just my two cents.

Cheers.

3. http://boycottsystemd.org/