Mark Simpkins on Sat, 8 Nov 2014 12:07:19 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> FW: Blogpost: Smart Cities vs. Smart Communities: Enabling Markets or Empowering Citizens

Thanks for posting this, I have been trying to use the idea of the
'smart-er citizen', but this is really an analogue to the community level
thinking that you mention.

Rather than encourage the use of top down technology/control systems that
are sold by the big technology players I have been focusing on the
cataloguing and findability of existing techniques and tools for citizens
to get together and decide on how to develop and improve their community.
In a way developing a Smarter Citizens Catalogue - access to existing tools
and methods.

Currently I am looking at the mapping of the data flows from individuals,
generating simple maps to show where the data goes/gets shared / used
again, which should be enabling for the citizen to influence up in their
environment.

mark

On 7 November 2014 15:50, michael gurstein <gurstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2014/11/06/smart-cities-vs-smart-communities-e
> nabling-markets-or-empowering-citizens/
>
> Hmmm..
>
> So "Smart Cities" particularly in Less Developed Countries are ways of
> turning urban environments into gold mines for consultants, hardware and
> software companies and redoing the city in the image and for the benefit of
> its most prosperous and well-serviced inhabitants and in the meantime
> transferring additional resources and benefits from the poor to the rich.

<....>

mark simpkins

=============================

I was on the plinth!!!!!