Prashant Paikray on Wed, 12 Nov 2014 15:05:50 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Update of Anti-POSCO Movment

Dear Friends,

The Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti strongly condemns the clandestine way in
which the state government is operating to hand over Khandadhar iron ore
mines to POSCO at a time when nothing is clear about the mining project and
when thousands of tribals are protesting against hand over of their
precious natural resources to any one for mining. The Nabin Pattnaik
government has written a letter to the Union Ministry of Mines to grant
Perspective Licence to POSCO in Kensara, Bhutuda, Rantha, Batagaon
Soreikala, Lusi and Raisuan villages of Khandadhar mines in Sundargarh
district for a period of three years. Against this unwarranted letter, the
indigenous people of Sundhargarh district under the banner of ??? Khandadhar
Suraksha Sangram Samiti" are continuing their  democratic protest. The
stunning silence of political parties is a matter of concern for people in
that region.

The saga of filing false cases and indiscriminate arrest of our villagers
in Jagatsinghpur district is going on. Recently on October 10, 2014, the
police has arrested Mr.Hagura Pradhan, age-32 of Dhinkia village,
Jagatsinghpur district of Odisha on his way to the nearest market. The
police has filed three fabricated criminal charges against him and put into
the jail. The same story was repeated when they arrested last evening
Sukadeb Parida and Pakua Parida of Mahal village on similar charges.

We came to know from the media  that with the support  of Odisha Industrial
Infrastructure Development Corporation (Idco), the state's land acquisition
agency, the Hyderabad-based Centre for Management & Social Research (CMSR)
is going to conduct the socio economic survey for POSCO??? in our villages.
Our villagers are determined not to allow any survey team in our area. We
do not understand why the government is making socio economic survey in
spite of our repeated ???NO??? for establishment of any project in the Gram
Sabha (Village Council).

We would request you all to use your respective forum/front to put pressure
on the state as we can see the bad days coming in future. We can only
promise you our resolve to oppose unjust, undemocratic and unethical state
interventions to serve the interest of private and multinational companies.

Kindly circulate this mail widely.

In solidarity,

Prashant Paikray
Spokesperson,