Heiko Recktenwald on Fri, 21 Nov 2014 18:18:10 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> 'fuck europe!' then what?

Am 20/11/14 12:42, schrieb Alex Foti:

<<
Europe is not a good sell. Not in Western Europe, not in Eastern Europe,
and most particularly on the left, where accusations of eurocentrism and
denunciations of the arbitrary political notion of "Europe" (where does
it end? when did it start?) abound. The position, best argued by
Streeck, that only by returning to the nation-state what's left of the
left can hope to shelter citizens from the inequalities of global
financial capitalism, seems to me nostalgic of the fordist age of
(patriarchal and paternalist) social democracy.

The nation is the place where we give us our own law. That is not
applicable in other countries. On the other hand Europe is fine. It is
pretty true that it makes very good law for consumers. It is a good idea
to have some sort of rules all over the place. That all consumers can
count on.

And what is the EU? A group of nation states with some common rules. Not
all are easy, so what? And I would say that the EU is even not so bad in
the Ukraine crisis if you forget the language and concentrate on what it
is really asking for. We should all come down.

Best, H.