Jaromil on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 17:30:01 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Gentrification of Hacking: How yuppies hacked the

dear Patrice,

On 12 October 2015 10:10:04 CEST, patrice <patrice@xs4all.nl> wrote:

>The answer to this, dear Jaromil, is oeuf corse to simply 'do it' (the
>practical work on the ground and in the streets) - and not talk too
>much about it since it attracts all kinds of un-called for, time
>wasting - or worse - attention. Meanwhile let's keep nettime as the
>enjoyable digi-paper of records of the chattering net.art.cult.philo
>classes. No bother and certainly no need to reform nettime into some
>mouthpiece of the one and only politically correct approach.

I don't get what you mean, can you explain?

meanwhile:

http://ilmanifesto.info/maker-faire-alla-sapienza-violenta-carica-della-polizia-contro-gli-studenti/

protests escalated with 4 student arrests, 10 students armed
of which 2 with serious head injuries. All this on the premises
of a university where once upon a time it was very unkosher
to have just one cop in uniform stepping in.

so now thanks to the makers faire and its oh-so-californian
ideology merge of cultural industries as education think tanks
we have a whole new front of cultural conflict -which we really
did not need.

As the protestors clearly stated, the makers movement is not
to be blamed for this, but perhaps the very gentrification Brett
writes about. The methodology, or ideology, of making a
business plan around anything, the ultra-liberal drive of turning
a cultural event into a faire, something that does not belong
to the premises of a university, unless we just start calling it
enterprise, as Agamben once suggested.

greets from gentrified Barcelona
pragmatically yours of course ;-)