Tapas Ray on Sat, 5 Dec 2015 05:36:38 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> In Solidarity with Library Genesis and Science Hub

In the past, I have published papers in for-profit journals (Sage,
Intellect), and a book through a university press. Subsequently, when I
came across the argument attributed here to a former director of Harvard
Library, I decided to publish papers ONLY in open-access journals and
books ONLY through independent or university publishers. I have offered
my latest paper to a peer-reviewed open-access journal. I am either
working on, or will be working on in the next few months, four edited
volumes and a monograph, and have requested the publications consultant
of my Institute to offer these exclusively to independent publishers. I
am a latecomer to the academy and my output is small, hence the impact
of my decision cannot but be negligible. But if other academics also
were to do what I am doing, change would come. That is my hope/belief..

In solidarity,

Tapas

On Saturday 05 December 2015 05:57 AM, tomislav medak wrote:

>    Dear Nettimers,
>
>    here's a call to action a number of us working on digital libraries and
>    archives have published on Monday in response to Elsavier's injunction
>    against Library Genesis and Science Hub. Due to a problem with
>    nettime's Mailman software, the letter failed to arrive after several
>    people have tried. Therefore, to avoid any quirk with formatting
>    preventing the letter to come through, now we're not pasting in the
>    letter. The letter can be found here http://custodians.online in
>    English and a number of translations people around the world have
>    spontaneously contributed over the last couple of days.
 <...>