Magnus Boman on Sun, 13 Dec 2015 16:18:20 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Vice > Peter Sunde > I Have Given Up

   On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 12:24 AM Jonathan Marshall <Jonathan.Marshall@uts.edu.au> wrote:

     Morlock:

     > Equating 'freedom' with 'right' to consume unpaid commercial content was
     > the biggest meme hijack of the decade. It reminds of the sinister side
     > of some hippie communities, where 'free love' was used to excuse rape.

     I'd say that the biggest 'meme'-hijack of the last 40 years has been
     equating the idea of 'freedom' with the right to purchase - end of story.
     At least the idea of a right to use ideas for free, attacks the idea
     of producing freedom through extending corporate property rights.
     jon

   Moreover, Morlock, rape is sinister of a very high magnitude, so let's
   not offend any rape victims by comparing it to a download of a James
   Bond movie. The media industry is no doubt jumping up and down with joy
   at any such comparison, just witness the statements of the lawyers that
   Peter were facing. The same people that were hosting PB through the
   years were also hosting things we all like, such as whistleblower
   material en masse, and PB made this possible. Plus, the media industry
   still owes me billions for their pollution of public space, on and off
   the Internet.

   M.