Patrice Riemens on Wed, 17 Feb 2016 12:56:13 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Julia Carrie Wong: Women considered better coders

Original to (with pics):
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/12/women-considered-better-coders-hide-gender-github

(bwo Barbara Strebel)

Women considered better coders – but only if they hide their gender
By Julia Carrie Wong
The Guardian, Friday 12 February 2016

Researchers find software repository GitHub approved code written by
women at a higher rate than code written by men, but only if the gender
was not disclosed

When a group of computer science students decided to study the way that
gender bias plays out in software development communities, they assumed
that coders would be prejudiced against code written by women.

After all, women make up a very small percentage of software developers
– 11.2% according to one 2013 survey – and the presence of sexism in all
corners of the overwhelmingly male tech industry has been well
documented.

So the student researchers were surprised when their hypothesis proved
false – code written by women was in fact more likely to be approved by
their peers than code written by men. But that wasn’t the end of the
story: this only proved true as long as their peers didn’t realise the
code had been written by a woman.

“Our results suggest that although women on GitHub may be more competent
overall, bias against them exists nonetheless,” the study’s authors
write.

The researchers, who published their findings earlier this week looked
at the behavior of software developers on GitHub, one of the largest
open-source software communities in the world.

     Researchers found that code written by women was approved at a
higher rate (78.6%) than code written by men (74.6%)

Based in San Francisco, GitHub is a giant repository of code used by
over 12 million people. Software developers on GitHub can collaborate on
projects, scrutinise each other’s work, and suggest improvements or
solutions to problems. When a developer writes code for someone else’s
project, it’s called a “pull request”. The owner of the code can then
decide whether or not to accept to proffered code.

The researchers looked at approximately 3m pull requests submitted on
GitHub, and found that code written by women was approved at a higher
rate (78.6%) than code written by men (74.6%).

Looking for an explanation for this disparity, the researchers examined
several different factors, such as whether women were making smaller
changes to code (they were not) or whether women were outperforming men
in only certain kinds of code (they were not).

“Women’s acceptance rates dominate over men’s for every programming
language in the top 10, to various degrees,” the researchers found.

The researchers then queried whether women were benefiting from reverse
bias – the desire of developers to promote the work of women in a field
where they are such a small minority. To answer this, the authors
differentiated between women whose profiles made it clear that they were
female, and women developers whose profiles were gender neutral.

It was here that they made the disturbing discovery: women’s work was
more likely to be accepted than men’s, unless “their gender is
identifiable”, in which case the acceptance rate was worse than men’s.

Interviews with a number of female developers who use GitHub revealed a
complicated picture of navigating gender bias in the world of
open-source code.

Lorna Jane Mitchell, a software developer whose work is almost entirely
based on GitHub, said that it was impossible to tell whether a pull
request was ignored out of bias, or just because a project owner was
busy or knew another developer personally.

Her profile on GitHub clearly identifies her as female, something she
won’t be changing based on the results of this study.

“I have considered how wise it is to have a gender-obvious profile and
to me, being identifiably female is really important,” Mitchell said by
email. “I want people to realise that the minorities do exist. And for
the minorities themselves: to be able to see that they aren’t the only
ones ... it can certainly feel that way some days.”

Another developer, Isabel Drost-Fromm, whose profile picture on GitHub
is a female cartoon character, said that she’s never experienced bias
while working GitHub, but that she normally uses the site to work on
projects with a team that already knows her and her work.

Jenny Bryan, a professor of statistics at the University of British
Columbia, uses GitHub as a teacher and developer in R, a programming
language. Her profile makes clear that she is a woman, and she doesn’t
believe that she’s been discriminated against due to her gender.

“At the very most, men who don’t know me sometimes explain things to me
that I likely understand better than they do,” she writes. “The men I
interact with in the R community on GitHub know me and, if my genderhas
any effect at all, I feel they go out of their way to support my efforts
to learn and make more contributions.”

Bryan was more concerned with the paucity of women using GitHub than she
was with the study’s results. “Where are the women?” she asks. One
possibility she raises is the very openness of the open source
community.

“In open source, no one is getting paid to manage the community,” she
writes. “Thus often no one is thinking about how well the community is
(or is not) functioning.”

That’s a pressing question for GitHub itself, which has faced serious
charges of internal sexism which led to the resignation of co-founder
and CEO Tom Preston-Werner in 2014. GitHub did not immediately respond
to a request for comment on the study.

In 2013, GitHub installed a rug in its headquarters that read, “United
Meritocracy of GitHub.” The rug was removed in 2014 after criticism from
feminist commentators that, although meritocracy is a virtue that it is
hard to disagree with in principle, it doesn’t do much for diversity in
the workplace. CEO Chris Wanstrath tweeting, “We thought ‘meritocracy’
was a neat way to think of open source but now we see the problems with
it. Words matter. We’re getting a new rug.”

As the researchers of the pull request study wrote, “The frequent
refrain that open source is a pure meritocracy must be reexamined.”