Keith Sanborn on Fri, 4 Mar 2016 17:03:49 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Tagging Banksy: Using Geographic Profiling to Investigate a Modern Art Mystery

It wd be interesting to see these techniques applied to areas of high
levels of police violence to solidify the links to particular precinct
houses, i.e. police stations. Then, one might try a reverse correlation
starting with the addresses of police officers in that station and
seeing whether particular originating districts were more prone to
produce violent officers.

Keith Sanborn

> On Mar 4, 2016, at 8:02 AM, nettime's evil scientist <nettime@kein.org> wrote:
>
> The pseudonymous artist Banksy is one of the UK?s most successful
> contemporary artists, but his identity remains a mystery. Here, we use
> a Dirichlet process mixture (DPM) model of geographic profiling, a
> mathematical technique developed in criminology and finding increasing
> application within ecology and epidemiology, to analyse the spatial
> patterns of Banksy artworks in Bristol and London. The model takes as
> input the locations of these artworks, and calculates the probability
> of ?offender? residence across the study area. Our analysis highlights
> areas associated with one prominent candidate (e.g., his home),
> supporting his identification as Banksy. More broadly, these results
> support previous suggestions that analysis of minor terrorism-related
> acts (e.g., graffiti) could be used to help locate terrorist bases
> before more serious incidents occur, and provides a fascinating
> example of the application of the model to a complex, real-world problem.
 <...>