Molly Hankwitz on Mon, 28 Mar 2016 20:21:14 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Richard Stallman: Eradicate Facebook!e

This is precisely what I have been arguing and what I present as a
plausible alternative thinking to my students - platform cooperatives
which Trebir Schulz has been working on for instance - but that what we
need - is mainly some kind of non proprietary social networking
--because the underlying business model of FB is corporate sprawl on
networks and because the benefits of social networking over "pure" DOS
interface or other paired back attempts to get around "multimedia" or as
statements in bandwidth-use or as rebellions simply overlook what social
networking has to offer - namely different modes of expression,
audio/video, chat lines etc --so they aren't really solutions, just less
satisfying alternatives - Because you cannot show as much - share as
much --yet the sharing economy of FB for instance supports the
sprawl...so what to do?

Obviously there needs to be stiff regulation imposed on data mining
practices, like the virtual fracking monsters they are - and this
imposition of regulation - which would be great if user generated - but
maybe that's what crypto is...would set real limits to the amounts of
capitalization possible on our data...regulate the gross exploitation
AND surveillance of data!

Molly

> On Mar 22, 2016, at 11:13 AM, Florian Cramer <flrncrmr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>   On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 4:51 AM, carlo von lynX
>   <lynX@time.to.get.psyced.org> wrote:
>
>     I think we need distributed social networking, with nodes that act
>     like a Facebook on your own device but only interact through a network
>     of agnostic relays, Tor style, with zero external authorities. Not even
>     "trusted" people running some pods or other overinformed server nodes.
>     That's what I'm working on since 2010.
>
>   Yet these alternative visions of social networking don't necessarily
>   solve the issue of data mining, unless they're based on strong
>   cryptography and cryptographic webs of trust that strictly limit the
>   readability of content to one's selected peers.
 <...>