Cory Salveson on Tue, 24 May 2016 08:51:39 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> artfcity: Turbulence.org Going Offline

Has anyone contacted Archive Team (http://www.archiveteam.org) or
Archive.org (https://archive.org) about this yet? Note these are
distinct entities.

Archive Team was a leader in (though by no means the sole force
behind) the archiving of GeoCities to, among other places, the largest
(for a while at least, not sure about now) torrent on the Pirate Bay (
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6353395/Geocities_-_The_PATCHED_Torrent
), making possible such projects as "One Terabyte of Kilobyte Age" (
http://blog.geocities.institute/).The torrent is 600+ GB, the project
more (in my view) than "just" a museum. Even if it were, museums are
important, too.

Anyway, with 8TB external HDDs only a few hundred USD now, then even
at a few TBs, surely 1 or 2 people could get a backup, torrented or
otherwise, so the site isn't completely lost? Virtualization is always
a possibility down the line if a full server backup were possible.

Forgive me if all this has already been discussed, or if I'm
misunderstanding where the conversation is at on all this; I just wanted to
offer some specific ideas and possibilities in case they hadn't been
considered yet. There's perhaps a conservative impulse behind wanting to
preserve history like this, but it's a worthy one in this case, especially
as the Internet continues to mutate in ways that make its prior existences
seem more and more like a dream.

Cory Salveson
@argotechnica