János Sugár on Sat, 28 May 2016 22:10:35 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> your face is big data

Russia's new FindFace app identifies strangers in a crowd with 70
percent accuracy
http://findface.ru/

Face recognition app taking Russia by storm may bring end to public anonymity
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/may/17/findface-face-recognition-app-end-public-anonymity-vkontakte

Egort Svetkov: Nowadays the power structures begin to lose their
monopoly control over the ability to identify a person's face and
identify him with the help of photos and videos. But people are
accustomed to differentiate patterns of behavior in society and
social networks, and leave the ability to spy on their opinion of the
best, successful moments of their lives for strangers. Such digital
narcissism - a product of a culture of free expression that defines
the boundaries of private and public in our time.
We often do not use the privacy settings specifically, and this has
given rise to a network stalking. Using free-for-all software I was
looking for the people who sat in front of me on the train
underground. I learned about the life of people without any contact
with them through the photos on the social network by comparing a
real image with a web representation. Modern technologies thus allow
to continue the practice of Vito Acconci and Sophie Calle - these
artists followed the habits of the human body and its position in
space. They did not focus on the personalities of people but only
constructed character. The ability of quickly and anonymous searching
people in network helps trace not for impersonal subject and within
seconds converts to a friend incognito.
http://cargocollective.com/egortsvetkov/YOUR-FACE-IS-BIG-DATA
Find the project here:
https://birdinflight.com/ru/vdohnovenie/fotoproect/06042016-face-big-data.html

Face recognition app FindFace may make you want to take down all your
online photos
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3071920/data-privacy/face-recognition-app-findface-may-make-you-want-to-take-down-all-your-online-photos.html