Andreas Broeckmann on Sat, 11 Jun 2016 16:10:23 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The 'Jake' Appelbaum case, or the rise and fall of

Am 10.06.16 um 18:30 schrieb Frank Rieger:

I do see a large difference between the US and the European scene
though. The "celebrity" problem you diagnosed is most prevalent in the
US. The idea of "rockstar" hackers, programmers etc. has never taken so
much hold in Europe or Germany.

Am 10.06.16 um 15:19 schrieb carlo von lynX:

> With today's attention economy the formation of celebrities can only > be limited by the adherence to a gatekeeping organization.

Where does this "becoming-celebrity" actually take place, and where is it played out? I guess it must have something to do with passing a certain threshold of attention into the mainstream media (interviews, being named as a lifestyle example)?

How does this relate to the "protective shield" that such public attention can also form for somebody who is potentially vulnerable?

And what role do events like (a few local examples) the CCC congress, transmediale, re:publica play in this, given their relatively new reach into broader, non-expert audiences, and mass media attention?

Regards,
-a