mp on Sat, 11 Jun 2016 16:20:54 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Renewed Tyranny of Structurelessness (was: rise and

On 10/06/16 20:42, biella wrote:

> The social movement as a whole, like most social movements, are hard to
> structur e (not sure I would want that anyway as social movements are by
> definition transve rsal to any one organization, group, or entity) but
> there are many  important examples of structured projects built by
> hackers.  The idea that they don't build institutions is the myth we are
> in need of debunk ing.

Does that need debunking? Aren't those institutionalisation tendencies
generally covered under such terms as "recuperation" and "enclosure"
(from within and without)?

Or, as it were.. Do not most systems in the known universe concentrate
around some attracting force (or idea), appearing first novel, then
gradually consolidate into discernible (recognisable, institutional,
adult(erated)) form, before turning obese and finally exploding into
smithereens available for new forces of attraction?

The last thing the world needs is more bloody institutions - let's first
burn the current ones to the ground, before building new ones, lest they
be sucked up and rendered fuel for elite machinery. Perhaps something
interesting will arise from the ashes..

/mp

PS: On the whole celebrity thing, where do career academics on the hunt
for citations (read: followers) see themselves?